Sound cards are one of the most problematic pieces of hardware under Linux. It’s very disappointing to get a new computer, install Slax on it and listen to no sound. There are many things you can test to attempt to fix the missing audio in Slax. Here are some of the more common fixes you can try to get sound employed in Slax.
Let’s start by troubleshooting trivial, if not apparent, reasons for having less sound in Slax. 1. Are your earphones/speakers connected in? Unplugged headphones/speakers might be the most obvious reason why you have no sound in Slax, but it often happens fairly. Ensure that your headphones or speakers have a proper connection to your PC. 2. May be the sound card allowed in the BIOS?
It is relatively uncommon to get a computer with the audio credit card disabled in the BIOS, (if you don’t yourself did it) but this is something you still need to check on. If the audio cards is disabled in the BIOS, then actually no audio adapter is in physical form present and quite normally no construction techniques can help. 3. Is the quantity control muted? As amazing as it might sound, quantity settings may be muted by default. You will need to tell ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) to unmute them.
To unmute them, open up a sort and gaming console the command word alsamixer. Find the Master column and using the arrow keys for navigation, select it. Press M which will unmute it. Once you’ve made sure none of them of the trivial reasons will be the cause for your lacking audio in Slax, it’s time to dig deeper and (ideally) fix the no sound issue.
1. Sound is missing in a few applications only. Frequently you are doing have audio (sort of) in Slax but not in all applications. Sound could be lacking in video games or when particular music/video data files are played. For games, you might want to check the game’s forum because this is actually the place where in fact the possibility to find a remedy to your particular problem is the best.
- List of retailers
- Your brand
- The royal vessel Bjarni Herjolfsson
- Choose an online platform
As for missing audio when particular music/video files are played, this is most probably due for an unsupported extendable and/or codec issue. Use Google to find troubleshooting advice for that one extendable. 2. Does Slax show the right sound card? If you have multiple sound cards it’s possible that Slax is puzzled which one to use. Type the lspci order in a console and this will tell you what sound credit card(s) you have.
3. Is the sound card driver wrong/missing? Even if Slax identifies your sound card correctly, if the right drivers isn’t installed, your sound card won’t work. Inside a system, type alsaconf to observe how ALSA picks up your sound card. Also type lsmod to list the drivers on one’s body and find out if a driver for your sound card exists.
4. Your audio hardware is not backed by Slax/Linux. Finally, yet another reason you might experience no audio in Slax is that your audio hardware doesn’t work with Linux. That is especially common with laptops because there are so many sound card manufacturers and models. It is not possible for Linux to support most of them by default. Check if ALSA supports your hardware. If it can, go to the manufacturer’s site and see when there is some info (or motorists) because of their hardware under Linux. Alternatively, you can try another Linux distribution and see if the sound is working or not.
In any case, the best you can certainly do is search the web for tips for your exact hardware and understand how other users have dealt with the missing sound. One more approach you could attempt is to replace the sound credit card (if this is possible). This is one way I solved the no audio issue on the workstation with a sound cards without support for Linux.
I tried multiple distributions to no avail. After a dramatic combat, I finally gave up and simply connected within an old sound card from another computer, disabled the on-board one and it worked well like a charm. The list of possible reasons and answers to the no audio in Slax issue is much longer than what I’ve listed here. It is simply impossible to list all the reason why and everything the solutions. But I believe even these basic tips are a good starting point to troubleshoot and fix the no sound issue in Slax.